Friday, October 3, 2008

A Promise of New Life

I just found out that a Dog Blogger whose blog I lurked on occasionally has died. I don't know, really, anything about his family or the dog. I have no reason to mourn the passing, and yet I do.

For me, mourning is really about mourning a part of our lives that has left and can never return. For the Person (be they human or furry friend) who has left, we as Christians, can be comforted in knowing that they are with the Creator, safe and happy in Her hands, in a way unachievable to those of us still here...

But in my personal theology it doesn't stop there, in that loving embrace. God asks us to return, to do more good works, to make this world a better place.

Jesus promises us all a chance to redeem ourselves through him. He himself is reincarnated when he raises from the dead, and when we take Communion we experience the way in which Jesus/God is part of everything, from the wheat in the fields and grapes in the vines to our worshiping mouths taking in the holy spirit. But where does it say that we are only given this one body to take our journey with?

I came to this belief for myself after many years of feeling I had been here before, and that there is just too much I need to accomplish spiritually in the next 60 to 70 years.

So, I'm thinking about Grendel and how much he is missed and I am thinking that his soul must have gone through some tough times and done some good things to have been lucky enough to come back as Grendel, to such a loving home.

1 comment:

Onkel Hankie Pants said...

Much has, of course, been written about the compatibility of reincarnation and Christianity. Here's an internet article that may be a good introduction to the topic:

http://www.mtio.com/articles/aissar14.htm