Thursday, May 15, 2008

.11% Makes ALL the difference

OK, so I was in a bit of a mood yesterday. Here's why:

Reason 1) I looked at my bank account and realized I would be scrapping by until my paycheck comes, which unfortunately has been mailed already (instead of dropped off) and won't arrive until this afternoon or tomorrow. If you have known me for any amount of time, I am sure you are shaking your head, thinking, "Oh, Elinor, when will you learn to be conservative with your money?"

But I have been! That is the most frustrating part! The problems really stem from my teeth (which my dental hygienist said were very well cared for by me), which I am having $4000 worth of work done on. And did I mention I have to pay out of my own pocket?

The gist is this: Where I once had over $900 in my savings (which is a HUGE amount for me) I now have $25 . And where I once had over $1000 in my checking, I will soon have about $100 (and that's hoping my paycheck goes through before the dental bill!)

Reason 2) My grades. I have been struggling balancing everything this spring...new major with a lot of technical aspects, two part-time jobs, two of my classes online...and there's the key. I really should not have taken ANY online courses. I thought I was ready to be that self-disciplined, but I am just not. At least not when I have to be in every other part of my life. I need a professor, standing in front of me every week, discussing, in person, the topics and my work.

So, yesterday, I was done with classes, I couldn't submit anything more. But looking at my grade for my Child Development course was making my stomach hurt. I was at 57% That, my friends, is real bad. But my professor was not done grading yet, and the grades from the final that I took, through mind blowing tooth pain, on Saturday weren't up yet, so I still had hope, but not much. 57 is hard to come back from.

BUT I DID IT!!!!

I was going to wait until after work to check my grade because I thought I could work better if I put it out of my mind. Of course, about 10:30 I realized that was pure fallacy, and I had to look.

I was so happy I thought I would pee my pants. Seriously.

I got 70.11%...that's .11% more then I needed in order to pass the class (my school does not pass you with a D)

I told my boss, who knew of my woes, and she screamed (something I do not do readily, but she is inclined to do. I enjoy it, because I can't make my voice do it). She wrote - ".11% Makes All the difference!"- on a piece of poster paper and ran around trying to find a place to hang it.

So, that's how I feel today. My grade problems are gone, but my money ones remain.

I am feeling .11% better, but that makes ALL the difference.

1 comment:

Onkel Hankie Pants said...

Well, .11% certainly made a difference in a very specific set of circumstances. But in the broader scheme - and you are one of the few people I know who can really appreciate and accept this - what makes a difference for YOU is
1) That you know you are a child of God;
and
2) Oodles of people love you.